33%
10%
10%

Total votes: 21

Kjetil
Den Fortapte
Den Fortapte

Post by Kjetil »

De snakket lenge sammen etterpå, flere settninger faktisk.
Kjetil
Den Fortapte
Den Fortapte

Post by Kjetil »

chapter 41, CoS wrote:With a heave, he swung his left arm up, trying to catch the edge of the hole. Pain no longer buffered by the Void stabbed through his side like a dagger going in. Spots danced in his vision. Worse, his right hand slipped on crumbling stone, and he could feel his fingers weakening. He was going to have to . . .

A hand grabbed his right wrist. “You are a fool,” a man’s deep voice said. “Count yourself lucky I don’t care to see you die today.” The hand began drawing him up. “Are you going to help?” the voice demanded. “I don’t intend to carry you on my shoulders, or kill Sammael for you.”

Shaking off his shock, Rand reached up and grabbed the rim of the hole, pulling despite the agony of his side. Despite the agony, he managed to acquire the Void again, too, and seize saidin. He did not channel, but he wanted to be ready.

His head and shoulders came above the floor, and he could see the other man, a big fellow little older than he, with hair black as the night and a coat black as an Asha’man’s. Rand had never seen him before. At least he was not one of the Forsaken; those faces he knew. He thought he did, anyway. “Who are you?” he demanded.

Still heaving, the man barked a laugh. “Just say I’m a wanderer passing through. Do you really want to talk now?”

Saving his breath, Rand struggled upward, getting his chest over the lip, his waist. Abruptly he realized that a glow bathed the floor around them like the glow of a full moon.

Twisting to look over his shoulder, he saw Mashadar. Not a tendril, but a shining silver-gray wave rolling out of one of the balconies, arching over their heads. Descending.

Without a thought, his free hand rose, and balefire shot upward, a bar of liquid white fire slicing across the wave sinking toward them. Dimly he was aware of another bar of pale solid fire rising from the other man’s hand that was not clasping his, a bar slashing the opposite way from his. The two touched.

Head ringing like a struck gong, Rand convulsed, saidin and the Void shattering. Everything was doubled in his eyes, the balconies, the chunks of stone lying about the floor. There seemed to be a pair of the other man overlapping one another, each clutching his head between two hands. Blinking, Rand searched for Mashadar. The wave of shining mist was gone; a glow remained in the balconies above, but dimming, receding, as Rand’s eyes began to clear. Even mindless Mashadar fled balefire, it seemed.

Unsteadily, he got to his feet and offered a hand. “I think we best move quickly. What happened there?”

The other man pushed himself up with a grimace at Rand’s proffered hand. He was easily as tall as Rand, rare except among the Aiel. “I don’t know what happened,” he snarled. “Run, if you want to live.” He suited his own words immediately, dashing toward a row of open arches. Not in the nearest wall. Mashadar had come from that one.

Fumbling for the Void, Rand limped after him as fast as he could, but before they were completely across the floor, the lightnings fell again, a storm of silver arrows. The two of them darted through the archways pursued by the thunder of walls and floor collapsing behind them, by clouds of dust and a hail of stones. Shoulders hunched and an arm across his face, Rand ran coughing through a broad room where trembling arches supported the ceiling and bits of stone rained down.

He burst out into a street before he knew it, stumbling three steps before stopping. The pain in his side made him want to bend over, but he thought his legs might give way if he did. His wounded foot throbbed; it seemed a year ago that that red wire of Fire and Air had stabbed his heel. His rescuer stood watching him; covered with dust head to toe, the fellow managed to look a king.

“Who are you?” Rand asked again. “One of Taim’s men? Or did you teach yourself? You can go to Caemlyn, you know, to the Black Tower. You don’t have to live afraid of Aes Sedai.” For some reason, saying that made him frown; he could not understand why.

“I have never been afraid of Aes Sedai,” the man snapped, then drew a deep breath. “You probably should leave here now, but if you intend to stay and kill Sammael, you had better try thinking like him. You have shown you can. He always liked destroying a man in sight of one of that man’s triumphs, if he could. Lacking that, somewhere the man had marked as his would do.”

“The Waygate,” Rand said slowly. If he could be said to have marked anything in Shadar Logoth, it had to be the Waygate. “He’s waiting near the Waygate. And he has traps set.” Wards as well, it seemed, like those in Illian, to detect a man channeling. Sammael had planned this well.

The man laughed wryly. “You can find the way, it seems. If you’re led by the hand. Try not to stumble. A great many plans will have to be relaid if you let yourself be killed now.” Turning, he started across the street for an alleyway just ahead of them.

“Wait,” Rand called. The fellow kept on, not looking back. “Who are you? What plans?” The man vanished into the alley.

Rand teetered after him, but when he reached the mouth of the narrow alley, it was empty. Unbroken walls ran a good hundred paces to another street, where a glow told of yet another part of Mashadar abroad, but the man was gone. Which was purely impossible. The fellow had had time to make a gateway, of course, if he knew how, but the residue would have been visible, and besides, that much of saidin being woven so near would have shouted at him.

Suddenly he realized that he had not felt saidin when the man made balefire, either. Just thinking of that, of the two streams touching, made his vision double again. Just for an instant, he could see the man’s face again, sharp where everything else blurred. He shook his head until it cleared. “Who in the Light are you?” he whispered. And after a moment, “What in the Light are you?”

Enjoy
Terje
Den Gjenfødte Dragen
Den Gjenfødte Dragen

Post by Terje »

Dimly he was aware of another bar of pale solid fire rising from the other man’s hand that was not clasping his, a bar slashing the opposite way from his. The two touched.

Head ringing like a struck gong, Rand convulsed, saidin and the Void shattering. Everything was doubled in his eyes, the balconies, the chunks of stone lying about the floor. There seemed to be a pair of the other man overlapping one another, each clutching his head between two hands. Blinking, Rand searched for Mashadar. The wave of shining mist was gone; a glow remained in the balconies above, but dimming, receding, as Rand’s eyes began to clear. Even mindless Mashadar fled balefire, it seemed.
Knif of Dreams
Og her har vi sannsynligvis forklaringa på det som skjer med Rand i Knife of Dreams...
Forresten. Godt å se at du har nytte av lenka jeg sendte deg, Kjetil. ;)
"Vivo equidem vitamque extrema per omnia duco!"
- Verg., Aen., 3.315.
Kjetil
Den Fortapte
Den Fortapte

Post by Kjetil »

Terje wrote:
Dimly he was aware of another bar of pale solid fire rising from the other man’s hand that was not clasping his, a bar slashing the opposite way from his. The two touched.

Knif of Dreams
Og her har vi sannsynligvis forklaringa på det som skjer med Rand i Knife of Dreams...
Forresten. Godt å se at du har nytte av lenka jeg sendte deg, Kjetil. ;)
tja, sånn mellom PoD og KoD en plass.
Ikke bare i KoD, han dukker alt opp i PoD, kapittel 21, men da er han ikke klar over at det er Moridin han ser.

Og takk igjen for dem Terje, jeg bruker de flittig :)
Chriz
Den Fortapte
Den Fortapte

Post by Chriz »

Jeg kan jo skrive litt om hva jeg syns om boka, nå når jeg nettopp har lest den igjen.
En veldig bra bok, men som mange andre har sagt her, ikke en av de aller beste. Men, det er mye handling, og vi beveger på oss. Liker spesielt scenene med Mat, først og fremst der hvor han herser med folk (f.eks. Renaile, i kap. 39), Tylin-scenene får kanskje litt i overkant med tid.
tPoD
Synes samtidig det er bra at Mat ikke ender opp med å dra sammen med Elayne og co. De har vært i samme plot lenge nok, det er på tide å skille lag.
Ellers, trivelig å treffe på Cadsuane, som alltid. Merker jeg humrer litt når bestemora klasker til. Digger at hun faktisk er beinhard, og bruker det. Denne boka får en åtter, noen kapittel er litt dryge, og det er en del unødvendig Aes Sedai-krangling.
Sa souvraya niende misain ye
- Mat
Eerath
Hengiven
Hengiven

Post by Eerath »

Får en syver. Lan kommer jo tilbake og Nynaeve mister sperren. Glemmer ikke det øyeblikket med det første jeg.

Ellers har boka et jevnt over bra spenningsnivå. Selvfølgelig noen kjedelige partier, men det har vel alle bøkene jeg har lest i serien til nå.
"Why do we fall, sir?"

"So that we might better learn to pick ourselves up."